Sunday, August 10, 2008

Quackgrass Acres


I put this picture of the Mossy Fairy Bonnet up instead of a picture of my garden because Quackgrass Acres is looking an awful mess. I didn't get there for three days and the bugs had gone to town on the squash and pumpkins. It's an organic community garden so that meant a lot of pick n' squish. Ugh. I've done so many things wrong there this first year. In the fall we are putting in growing beds with as much manure and leaves as I can get my hands on and using Ruth Stout's permanent mulch system next year. I'm taking a little comfort from the fact that she also struggled in her first years of gardening.
For anyone who has not read Ruth's How to have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back, you really should. It's a great read rather you're a gardener or not. I've been by her home many times though I didn't know anything about her. But I noticed the house, it's my favorite in that area.
Please pray for my pumpkins!

No comments: