Monday, May 28, 2007

Wandering Lydia's Mehndi

As mentioned previously, I've gotten into doing henna body art. I started out with a kit from a local boutique with the idea of having something fun to do at the May Fair. CJ's teacher saw it and suggested that it could be a fund raiser for the class trip. There is a big Labor Day Parade down Main St. that we always go to because my friend lives there, so I plan to set up and do henna for the duration of the parade. The nice thing is that I wouldn't be trying to fund raise within our school community - we're all sick of fund raisers and pretty well tapped out. All money raised that day would go to the class trip but I figured that I'd have business cards out in hopes of getting some bookings for parties. I hand drew the business card with a boteh design around the contact info. When I showed it to my friend she said," You do know that there is a song about Lydia the tattooed lady, right?" Well, sort of vaguely, though it had nothing to do with my choice of name. Just another one of those random bits of serendipity that Groucho Marx sang it!
So I've been practicing on myself and studying at The Henna Pages: http://www.hennapage.com/, which I highly recommend for anyone who would like to try doing henna. Gotta go see what's going on downstairs. We are supposed to be going to a picnic.

No comments: